I just got back from Mexico yesterday, and I’m headed to Dubai, followed by the Maldives, for the first time tomorrow evening. My original plans had me flying out in coach from EWR to IST, with a 7-hour layover, before continuing on to DXB in coach again. Two overnight flights in Y is enough to make this girl cranky. I sound like a diva, but seriously, it seemed like a hellish itinerary.
Fortunately, some last-minute Swiss Airlines business class (in the new cabin) seats opened up for tomorrow, so I decided to splurge the extra 20K United miles to treat myself to a lie-flat seat for some ZzZzZs and a much smoother connection (just an hour in Zurich). I’m looking forward to the trip… and hopefully I’ll get my butt in gear and publish the flight review more quickly than my Singapore Airlines flight reviews I’ve fallen waaay behind on.
Anyway, let’s catch up in the world of points and miles, shall we?
- I’m not going to remind you that there is an increased sign-up bonus on the Ink Bold and the Ink Plus cards this week… well… because by now you’re already drowning in the news.
- I will however let you know that you can get a coupon for 20% off a Virgin America flight via Facebook. On the topic of Facebook, two more things: You can pass time finding Mr. Miles (related post) or you can enter to win a contest sponsored by PointsHound for 100,000 Etihad miles.
- If you’re into mistake fares, Canadian Kilometers just posted a mistake fare between JNB to ZRH through IST on Turkish Airlines that’s bookable on United.com. The fare is supposed to cost over $4,000, but with the mistake, it seems to be pricing out for just $467. The fare books into J class, which earns 100% PQM with United. While this is a really great price, positioning to Johannesburg and returning from Zurich could be a pain and make it not worth it. Thoughts?
- Mommy Points lets us know that Club Carlson flash sales should be happening all well. Today’s flash sale was awesome, but I didn’t get in on it 70,000 points for $280.
- Free Upgrade with National Car Rental Services: From now through July 27, 2013, National has a promotion where you can get a free upgrade.
- Don’t forget about Free Movie Fridays: Between now and August 2nd, every Friday at Fandango, Visa Signature cardholders receive a free movie ticket when purchasing one at regular price. Add at least two tickets to your cart and the cost will be deducted during checkout, after you enter your credit card information. Note that a Fandango convenience charge applies and this deal is limited to one free ticket per 30 days.
- I have credit cards on my mind, and I’m long over-due for new ones. I’m thinking about getting the Club Carlson Personal Visa and another MileagePlus Explorer card. I had the card when it was a Continental OnePass MasterCard (pre-merger), but I canceled it back in February to avoid paying the annual fee, and also because my Chase Sapphire Preferred got more use. However, I forgot about an appealing perk to UA cardholders – complimentary premier upgrades on select award bookings. A friend of mine used his miles to book my return from CUN-EWR yesterday in saver coach, and it was a pleasant surprise to receive an email in my inbox from United titled, “Elite Upgrade Notification”. Man, that made my day, and I was reminded that United cardholders sometimes have their perk. Time to get me a MileagePlus Visa… oh and I’m also considering the Virgin Atlantic Bank of America Visa (that summer travel to Europe for 13K ordeal has me tempted). Any input? What should I get next?