What a great way to start off 2013 with a bang; so far in the month of January I’ve been on a total of 6 flights. The first three days of the year were spent in the quaint town of Aiken, SC where I was able to meet with fellow reader/friend, Susan (@miffsc). Then from the 4th – 8th, I ended up in Vegas for a fun impulsive weekend with friends and to also attend New Media Expo 2013 with some other fellow bloggers.
I apologize for not posting a “proper” New Year’s post in a timely manner. The truth of the matter is I that couldn’t think of a clever New Year’s Resolution, and frankly, there hasn’t been anything that exciting happening in the points and miles world lately (oh… except the 100K Membership Rewards AmEx Platinum card offer from a few days ago… that 100K other travel bloggers posted about). I like to steer away from filler posts. I guess that could be my New Year’s Resolution?
In all seriousness, looking back at my resolution for 2012, which called for more spontaneous travel, I can honestly say that I have kept my word on that one for all of last year. What an incredible year of travel 2012 has been, and it’ll only get better this year. While on the Star MegaDo 4 in November, I was able to connect with some travel-obsessed and like-minded new friends. The good news is – I found a fun group to travel with every month, but the bad news is that there’s an 86% chance I’ll remain broke this year. Oh the things we do for the love of travel…
Upcoming Travel in 2013
Speaking of travel, here’s what I have lined up for this year so far…
- Jan 19-21: San Diego – mileage run/mini weekend trip from ZFV on United. $161 for approximately 6,000 PQM.
- Jan 24-27: ?? Somewhere impulsive in Europe with friends -or- LAX for the SAG Awards
- Jan 30-Feb 1: Las Vegas with the parents. $168 RT from EWR on US Airways (will credit to UA).
- Feb 2: Somewhere in North Jersey for a reader mingle dinner/fun get together
- Feb 6-12: Israel with some of my Twitter buddies. We booked this during last summer’s El Al mistake fare of $329 round trip!
- Feb 14-18: Istanbul – great $413 United fare between DCA and IST. Applied one of my $300 United Travel Vouchers, bringing my out of pocket cost to just $113 for approximately 11K PQM.
- Mar 17 – 27: Sydney with Dad – flying first class on Singapore Airlines’ A380 suite with 80,000 United miles. The itinerary includes a full day in San Francisio and Singapore on the way down to Sydney. We’re returning on Qantas business class by redeeming 62,500 American Airlines miles (ended up actually being 56,250 thanks to 10% back on redeemed miles with my Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card).
- Apr 4-10: Buenos Aires + a day in Rio de Janeiro – a friend and I were able to book an awesome mistake fare of $386.22 round trip for this great itinerary on TAM airlines (will credit miles to United).
- Apr 12-16: Maui – got myself a free one-way in first class from EWR-OGG from my above Sydney return trip.
- Apr 25-28: Washington DC/Northern VA area – The Freddie Awards/Frequent Traveler University – 800 travel-obessed people under one roof calls for good times!
- May 10-12: Colorado Springs, CO – blogger weekend at House of Miles.
- Sometime in June: Dubai
- Sept 20 – 27? – Munich for Oktoberfest + possibly Vienna or Prague afterward? Booked an off-peak AAdvantage award for 18,000 miles (related post).
Elite Status Check for 2013
Here’s where I’m at in terms of status this year:
Status Goals for 2013
Personal/Blog Goals for 2013
- This might sound cheesy, but I just started logging my flight activity for this year with Flight Memory, so that I could have one of those cool maps depicting all of my travel adventures by year end.
- I want to have more frequent get togethers with readers; there’s nothing quite like talking miles, points, and travel all day long with people who actually “get it”.
- More trip reports!
- I want to be able to be more comfortable traveling alone. I’m not quite the shy type, but in general I tend to gravitate towards traveling in a group. It’s time for my big girl shoes…
- Destinations that are high on my list are: Kenya, Egypt, Lima, Capetown, The Maldives/Tahiti/Bora Bora, and Barcelona. Will I do that all in one year? Most likely not, but a girl can dream!
Let’s Meet Up – February 2, 2013
- Date: Saturday, February 2 (yes, that’s Groundhog Day – hopefully he presents us with some good news about an early summer).
- Time: Probably around 6PM-whenever
- Location: Somewhere in the Northern NJ area/close to EWR
- Capacity: to keep this event from being too chaotic, I think it’s fair to cap it off at a maximum of 25 attendees
- Price: We’ll all be going dutch, but I promise to try to keep it in the $40 range so it’s reasonable for all.