Last night, I played around on United.com looking for an excuse to get away from the freezing cold weather that has “graced” the northeast. Though I was expecting such last-minute fares to any warmer destination to be in the $1000+ range, I was greeted by a little surprise….
$427 round-trip nonstop between Newark and Honolulu for a 1/23 departure, leaving HNL late on Friday night. Underneath that beautiful fare was some small-print reading, “one ticket left at this price”. With a deal that good on such short notice, I quickly booked it “just in case”, knowing that I’d have 24 hours to sleep on it (literally) and could cancel for a full refund without penalty if needed.
Well, all of the pieces were adding up for me to go…
- HackMyTrip let me use his expiring SWU to confirm an upgrade on the outbound, so I can fly 10+ hours in BusinessFirst (thanks a million again for that!).
- I have a decent place to stay thanks to HotelTonight credits I have and dear longtime-friend of mine who moved out to Oahu.
- I *do* want to reach 1K status with United this year, so this will knock off a nice 10% chunk of the 100,000-mile requirement..
- I sent out a tweet last night calling for a “vote” upon this, and the votes in favor of this were in the 95% range. Such enablers you guys are! :-P (Now, who didn’t approve? Well, I received a not-so-encouraging tweet from @uittrader. If you connect the last names then you know who that is!)
- Did I mention that it’s f*&*^ cold here in NJ with possible snow on Friday? Yuck.
I really don’t have a solid plan yet when I land, but I’ll figure it out when I get there. Off to EWR I go, and on with the craziness!