This post is dedicated to my younger brother, Anthony, who I gifted United Gold status to 2 months ago (Anthony, are you listening? It’s time get your butt in gear…). Anthony has been doing a lot of business traveling on US Airways and United for his new job, and I want to show him how he can best leverage his new gold status by contacting Turkish Airlines and asking for a status match.
With the match, he’ll be able enjoy two-free years of North American/domestic lounge access (United Club, US Airways Club etc.).
The Turkish Status match has been around for a while, but the terms have changed it a bit. It used to be that you simply sent over an email to them including digital copies of your “proof” (a screenshot of your current statement and membership level). However, it seems to be that TK will no longer match without hard copies.
Here is a step-by-step guide for people who are newbies and might be in the same boat as my brother:
First and Foremost – Who is Eligible for TK Status Match?
The cool thing about this match is that Turkish Airlines will match other Star Alliance Gold members, as well as Skyteam Elite Plus and Oneworld Emerald members. In other words, members already holding US Airways Gold Preferred, United Premier Gold, American Executive Platinum, and Delta Gold Medallion or higher have the opportunity of enjoying the sought-out haven of lounge access prior to take-off.
Now that you’re eligible for the match, here’s what you’ll have to do:
- First, create a free Miles&Smiles account.
- Scan a HARD COPY (digital copies/screenshots of statements and cards are no longer acceptable) of both your current statement and membership card from your existing and qualifying program as mentioned from above. Note: Some people have been asked to provide a copy of their passport too. I personally printed out my last 3 United MileagePlus statements and took pictures of me holding the hard copies using the camera on my iPhone. I did the same thing with my membership card, and it worked like a charm.
- Next, Fill out the contact form on the TK website and write a short message, including your Miles&Smiles account number, stating that you’d like to be status matched. Don’t forget to attach the requested proof files above.
- Following your submission, you will be given a reference number so you can later trace the status of your request.
- The completion of the the match can take a few business days to several months, depending on the amount of requests in progress and if all of the required documentation is included. In my experience, it took several weeks of back and forth contact in order for me to be matched, but after I sent my pictures of my hard copy proof, I heard back within a few hours. YMMV.
- Miles&Smiles Elite is valid for 2 years.
Flight for thought- The current price of a 1-year United Club membership is $500.00, or 65,000 miles with an initiation fee of $50, while a standard US Airways Club membership is $450 a year. In short, five minutes of your time and a simple message requesting a Turkish Airlines status match will grant you ~$950 in lounge perks by allowing you to receive lounge access on North American itineraries that would otherwise inaccessible with US-based Star Alliance Gold elite status.
If you haven’t done so already, give it a shot, and be sure to let me know how it goes. If you have matched before, how long before the request was responded to? Have you stumbled across other benefits or issues associated with the match?
… don’t forget that you can now access the site by typing japt.co into your browser!