Today an email which I thought was junk mail made my day; I received an email from American Airlines with “You deserve AAdvantage Platinum” as the subject. Turns out, my American Airlines AAdvantage account was targeted for a free upgrade to Platinum status! Aside from the status upgrade, they are giving me 20 500-mile upgrade certificates ($600-$700 value in itself), and a chance to maintain my status up until February 2015 just by flying 12,000 miles with them before January 31, 2014. I better start looking for a cheap hop to Asia one of these days, because that’s an offer I can’t refuse!
I have no idea what the requirements were or why my account was selected for the status, but here are some data points: I currently hold no status with AAdvantage, I am booked to United Premier 1K for 2014, and I am a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select cardholder. Has anyone else received the same email?
In other news…
- Jeff over at Canadian Kilometers gives us step-by-step instructions on how to possibly get a free night at select Shangri-La locations (or a $100 spa credit) just by playing the easiest game on the planet.
- American Express just announced that New Yorkers now have the opportunity to pay for their taxi rides with their Membership Rewards points. I personally will not be doing that, as I value my Membership Rewards points too highly, especially with Avios as a transfer partner. After all, using Uber in Manhattan is more fun anyway!
- Speaking of Membership Rewards, The Points Guy lets us know about the newest transfer partner – Emirates.
- IHG just published a preview of their new and extensive PointBreaks list, where free nights are just 5,000 points a pop. The rooms will be bookable starting November 1. Hello, Intercontinental Tahiti – Wow!
- Radisson is having a promotion whereby you can save 35% when you book select Radisson hotels by November 12, 2013 and stay two or more consecutive nights during specific dates between November 22 and February 1, 2014. The promo code for this sale is S2G35OFF.
- Marriott is giving away free beds to celebrate them turning 30 in November. To celebrate, they’re giving away 30 Marriott Bed packages to 30 lucky winners! You can enter once per day with your Facebook account from October 22 through November 20, 2013. I cant recall how magical Marriott beds feel, but a new bed is always a fun thing to win, I guess?
That sounds like a wrap on tonight’s “Miles in a Minute” segment. Anyone else have any deals to contribute?