Wow, what a busy week in the world of points and miles! Yesterday, I jumped the fence and booked a one-way first class award on Lufthansa to Munich from Toronto just in time for opening weekend at Oktoberfest 2014 (thanks to One Mile at a Time for letting us know about that). I know that’s a long ways ahead, but I really enjoyed my first Oktoberfest experience a few months ago and can’t wait to go back.
Let’s catch up on the world of points and miles now, shall we?
- Don’t forget to play week 2 of the Shangri-La game to potentially earn a free night or $100 food/spa credit.
- Lots of AmEx sync/Twitter promotions going on (related post). Another new one is #AmexBP to save $5 off of $25 at the pump.
- There’s an American Airlines AAdvantage survey that’s making it’s way to many of our emails, claiming to pay 1,000 miles for completing a 15-minute survey. I made it 8 minutes through and was told I didn’t qualify – a big waste of time in my opinion (I know many others in same boat).
- You can now get free and instant Gold status with Hilton HHonors just for being a American Express Platinum card holder (more American Express Platinum perks: So You Got an American Express Platinum Card, Now What?)! Just call the customer service number on the back of your card to ask for the upgrade before December 31, 2013. This is exciting for me because I just kissed my Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card goodbye. HHonors Gold status is great for the free hot breakfast, room upgrades, and wifi perks.
- To celebrate welcoming Emirates as a new Membership Rewards transfer partner, AmEx is offering a limited time 25% transfer bonus – Card Members in the US, UK and France who transfer their points to the Emirates Skywards program between 11/8 and 11/21 will receive a 25% bonus (1:1.25).
- American Express card members can now get a free subscription to ShopRunner, which grants you free 2-day shipping with over 80 online merchants.
- You can play the Star Alliance Gold Game for a chance to win Gold Status in your preferred airline.
- United is offering a 20% discount on saver award travel in economy to Europe (now 48,000 miles round trip) if you book your award by November 19 for travel between January 31, 2014 and March 11, 2014. Is this the best deal in town? Not really – I personally think there are better redemptions with American Airlines (even with a free stopover), but a 20% savings is better than 0 savings if you were planning to redeem anyway.
- The public offer of the 100,000 British Airways Avios Visa is back (normal offer has a 50,000 sign-up bonus). If you can handle the hefty spend threshold (essentially $22,000 over a year) to get the full 100,000, then this offer is not to be missed!
- Barclays now offers US card members their free FICO score (based on TransUnion data)- an awesome perk to know your true credit worthiness.
- JetBlue has a promotion where you can earn 4x bonus points if you register and book by 11/13 and fly by 12/31. I personally do not have any JetBlue travel lined up anytime soon, but this is a great promotion for those who do!
I’ve got a ton of free 6-month AwardWallet coupon codes to pass along. They are valid for one-time use only, so leave a comment below letting others know which one you’ve used. Enjoy!
Any other deals worth mentioning?