Brrr!! I hope this everyone is warm and safe as this #PolarVertex sweeps the nation. It sure looks like it’s been a crummy week to travel with thousands of flight delays and cancellations (speaking of which, did you know most of your Chase cards have awesome trip delay/cancellation insurance?).
I personally have been in hibernation mode – this bitter cold is the perfect time to catch up in the wonderful world of points and miles. Here’s what’s going on (trust me – there’s lots going on):
- It’s a new year and that means it’s time to claim your $200 airline credit as an American Express Platinum cardholder (the full scoop, along with a summary of other card benefits, can be found here in this post). I personally have went ahead and purchased four $50 United gift cards a few days ago, and my statement credits have already posted. Although my AmEx Business Platinum card comes with a hefty $450 annual fee, I certainly do get maximum value from the card to make it worth hanging on to.
- It looks like JetBlue is being really generous and proactive with offering compensation for this week’s weather-related delays/cancellations.
- There are some new AmEx Sync promotions to register for.
- Club Carlson recently announced their Q1 promotion which is pretty decent, but not exactly worth mattress-running for – Stay 3 nights, get 1 free (in the form of 38,000 extra bonus points). Registration is required, and this promotion is good until April 13, 2014.
- Registration is now live for Starwood’s Q1 promotion – “Bonus Beginnings”
- Gary @ View From The Wing complied a great list of stackable IHG promotion codes to earn bonus points on your next stay. These codes are also stackable with the new 2014 Big Win promotion that I am excited about. IHG also now offers free internet to all IHG Rewards Club members now.
- Starwood Gold and Platinum members might be eligible for a renewal elite gift. The choices for the Starwood Platinum Renewal gift this year are either Double Starpoints or 35% Off a Redemption. The gift choices for those who have re-qualified for SPG Gold Status are either double Starpoints for a month or 25% off a hotel redemption. As a SPG gold member solely from the American Express Platinum card, I was told I was not eligible, but YMMV.
- My favorite car service app, UBER, has temporarily upped their new-member referral bonus of $20. What’s even better is that new members can get a total of $45 in credit for just $5 by purchasing the Uber Groupon deal – $25 in Uber credit for $5 (also only for new members). To make both of these stackable, you’ll have to sign up for an Uber account, then add the Groupon offer to the account immediately afterwards.
- Hertz Gold is having a promotion whereby you can earn 550 bonus points – enough for a Free Weekend Day – when you add Hertz NeverLost®, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, Fuel Purchase Option or a Protection Plan to your next qualifying rental. Registration required.
- Deals We Like sums up a great Amtrak promotion that allows you can earn free rides if you have travel on Amtrak between January 6 and March 1, 2014. One example of how you can earn a free ride during the Amtrak “Go Free” promotion is by taking two Northeast Regional roundtrips to score 1 free roundtrip (the free trip would be valid between July 1 – August 31, 2014). Registration is required prior to taking your trips.
- Citi Hilton HHonors Visa cardholders can earn 2,500 bonus points at Hilton for stays until 2/28/14 when you pay with your Citi Hilton HHonors Visa. Registration required.
- Speaking of Hilton, they just launched Ultimate Weekender Sweepstakes. Through Hilton.com/Weekender, Hilton HHonors members can enter every week to win a weekend getaway to various destinations such as New York, Chicago and Hawaii. The sweepstakes lasts all year round. Hopefully we all win a weekend getaway!
- Today is the first day of the new Hyatt devaluation (full details and new award chart can be found here). Hopefully everyone was proactive and made their reservations yesterday to lock-in the old rates. I personally plan saving my points for a few nights at the all-inclusive Hyatt Zilara in Cancun, Mexico sometime in the spring.
- Today is also the start of American Airlines and US Airways program reciprocity benefits. I’ll hand it over to One Mile at a Time for the full scoop.
Lastly, I’ve got a ton of free 6-month AwardWallet coupon codes to pass along. They are valid for one-time use only, so leave a comment below letting others know which one you’ve used. Enjoy!
Invite-69887-TXTKI – use coupon
Invite-69887-CZGFP – use coupon
Invite-69887-LSPUU – use coupon
Invite-69887-NOPIA – use coupon
Invite-69887-LVMYW – use coupon
Invite-69887-CGQPE – use coupon
Invite-69887-UXXLM – use coupon
Invite-69887-COAGZ – use coupon
Invite-69887-CYBRG – use coupon
Invite-69887-ZKULR – use coupon
Invite-69887-NXDSY – use coupon
Invite-69887-MZZKU – use coupon
Invite-69887-MLEAU – use coupon
Invite-69887-XQTZV – use coupon
Invite-69887-DCRCM – use coupon
Invite-69887-IUMRN – use coupon
Invite-69887-BWFQW – use coupon
Invite-69887-DHQDX – use coupon
Invite-69887-IHZZJ – use coupon
Invite-69887-VJZLO – use coupon
Invite-69887-OGALQ – use coupon
Invite-69887-PCGTF – use coupon
Any other points and miles news worth mentioning?