My brother has some time between jobs, and my dad has vacation days to burn. Add some hefty mileage balances to the mix, and now a burning desire to travel in first and business class is ignited.
Though often time-consuming, booking award travel is generally fun for me. It’s the “thrill of the hunt” that excites me. I challenge myself to get the most “bang for my buck” while taking advantage of as many sweet-spot redemption routes, stopovers, and long-layovers as I can, as I search for some of the best premium seats.
I also love to help others out as well. Whether it’s friends, family, or readers looking to burn their points and miles, I love helping them brainstorm.
There’s one person that I can’t stand helping though, and it’s about time I call him out on it…
Dad, I’m speaking to you, LOL.
He might be the most indecisive person I’ve ever met when it comes to planning trips. One day he’ll come to me asking me to help piece together a trip to Asia at the end of August, and then an hour later he will call me about a trip to South Africa in January. And the funny part is, he’s not talking about two separate trips.
Let’s take a look at a timeline of text messages from very recent example:
- July 23, approximately 7 pm: Ant and I want to go to Bangkok in August.
- July 23, approximately 9:05 pm: We will consider Tokyo (books tentative award).
- July 23, approximately 9:20 pm: Can we add a day in Cambodia?
- July 23, approximately 10 pm: Actually, the following week might work better – Labor Day Weekend.
- July 23, approximately 10:15 pm: What about a long layover in Hong Kong? I’m going to bed. Keep looking, and we’ll talk tomorrow.
I spend a good chunk of time time searching for award possibilities to Asia.
- July 24. approximately 10 am: We want to do Istanbul. Forget about Tokyo.
Ok, time to search for routings to IST.
- July 24, approximately 10:05 am: What are awards to South Africa looking like?!
What really baffles me is this: how does one change continents in a span of 5 minutes?!?
As you can see, not only is he having a hard time picking a routing to a specific destination, he also can’t decide on dates… nor decide on a continent. ::bangs head::
Let me add that this is not the first time that I am dealing with this either, ha.
All I can say is get it together, and then we will proceed…
Are you like this when it comes to booking an award or do you know some one like this in your circle of friends/family? Better yet… anyone have any inspiration for him?