During certain times of the year, certain credit cards offer increased sign-up bonuses. With that said, it’s a busy time of year in the world of travel credit cards.
There’s been a lot of mention of credit cards offers that currently have limited-time increased sign-up bonuses and/or lower minimum spend requirements. Below is a list that compares the normal offer vs. the improved offer, along with a summary of card benefits.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
- Normal Offer: 50,000 Avios after spending $2,000 in 3 months + a $95 annual fee that is not waived
- Limited Time Improved Offer: 50,000 Avios after spending $2,000 in 3 months, $95 annual fee is waived.
- Offer Expiration: ~June 30, 2015
- Cool Card Benefits: No foreign transaction fees. I LOVE Avios because they let me book spontaneous travel. Awards start at 4,500 Avios each way. I could write a novel about the many uses of Avios… actually, I did. You can start reading here ;).
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Normal Offer: 25,000 Rapid Rewards points after spending $2,000 in 3 months.
- Limited Time Improved Offer: 50,000 points after spending $2,000 in 3 months, with a $99 annual fee.
- Offer Expiration: ~???
- Cool Card Benefits: Rapid Rewards is a variable program, where each point is worth 1.5-1.9 cents (total sign up bonus value is ~$750-$950). I love traveling with Southwest because there is no penalty to cancel flights and you can always change and rebook your flight for a lower amount of points if the fare goes on sale. This card can also help you obtain a companion pass if you accumulate 110K Rapid Rewards points.
United MileagePlus® Explorer Card
- Normal Offer: 30,000 miles after spending $3,000 in 3 months.
- Cool Card Benefits: In addition to the higher sign-up bonus, you can get an additional 5,000 miles if you add an authorized user, 2 free United Club passes annually, free checked bag, more award availability, and priority boarding. Having this card pretty much mimics Premier Silver status. More card information and uses can be found here.
IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- Normal Offer: 60,000 points after spending $1,000 in 3 months.
- Cool Card Benefits: In addition to the points, $49 annual fee (waived the first year) includes a free night certificate at any IHG property worldwide (!!!), IHG Platinum status, 10% back on points redeemed, & award nights start at 5,000 points. Here’s a link to my previous post that explains how the IHG card kicks all of the other hotel credit cards’ butts.
- Note: Some have reported an offer for 80,000 IHG points
Ink Cash® Business Credit Card
- Normal Offer: $200 (20,000 points) after spending $3,000 in 3 months.
- Cool Card Benefits: My newest Ink card (you can turn these “cash back” points into more valuable airline/hotel redemptions if you or a spouse have a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus). No annual fee. Check out a more detailed blog post about the Ultimate Rewards “families” and my strategy with this card here.
Ink Plus Business Credit Card
- Normal Offer: 50,000 points after spending $5,000 in 3 months.
- Cool Card Benefits: Earn 5x on office supply store, telecommunications, and cable charges, no foreign transaction fees. Ultimate Rewards points are flexible and can transfer 1:1 to many airline and hotel programs (British Airways, United, Korean Air, Southwest, Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Priority Club, Virgin Atlantic & Amtrak).
Which of these cards have you had or are thinking of getting? I’ve personally had every single one on this list – diversifying is key!