I recently blogged about a new and impressive business credit card that was silently launched from American Express. For a while, I’ve steered away from applying for new credit cards because of the Chase 5/24 rule and the limits on how many credit cards you can have open at a time with American Express.
Historically, it was that you were only able to have a total of 4 AmEx credit cards and 4 AmEx charge cards, regardless if it was business or personal and cobranded or not. There weren’t many solid data points in place, but I started to see some talk about some people getting approved for a 5th card, and I was curious if I’d also be able to.
It’s been a while since I applied for a new round of credit cards, and I was already at 4 active AmEx credit cards, and since I knew that the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express wouldn’t count towards 5/24, I figured to apply and see what happened.
To my surprise, I was instantly approved!
- Blue Sky from American Express® Card (my oldest account that I rarely use & I’m always prepared to use as a bargaining chip in case I need to swap an account out).
- The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN (charge card)
So there it is:
- 5 credit cards/1 charge card
- 3 personal/3 businesss
- 4 without any annual fee/2 with
- 5 AmEx issued cards/1 co-branded
- 6 with access to awesome “AmEx Offers”
How many American Express cards do you currently have open?