Beginning today, Starwood is launching SPG Mobile Check-In at 22 of its hotels in the United States. More hotels will soon begin offering this feature exclusively on the SPG Mobile app, and global rollout is scheduled to completed by the end of 2017.
Marriott first launched mobile check-in, checkout and room ready alerts in 2013. It is now available at all hotels that were in the Marriott portfolio before the acquisition of Starwood Hotels and Resorts.
Though I have not personally used Mobile Check-In myself with Marriott, I have done so with Hyatt and I love the convenience of knowing that my room is ready ASAP so that I can avoid time at the counter and quickly get to my room.
According to David Flueck, who is the Senior VP of Global Loyalty at Marriott International, there are currently more than 200,000 check-ins already occurring each week, so I can imagine a quick expansion now that SPG properties are also included.
For SPG, its mobile journey began with SPG Keyless – the industry’s first mobile keyless entry system which is now available at all Aloft, Element & W hotels. The convenience of using your mobile device as your room key is also coming to 500 hotels this year participating in the Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards programs. There will be no change for SPG members checking-in to Aloft, Element & W hotels offering SPG Keyless.
Here’s how the new mobile check-in feature will work:
- The new mobile check-in feature will be available to those who have downloaded the SPG mobile app with stays booked directly with SPG.
- Guests will receive a invitation to check in approximately 48 to 72 hours before their stay using the SPG app.
- On the day of arrival, a notification will be sent to their mobile device alerting them that their room is ready and their key is waiting for them at the front desk.
- When checking out using the SPG app, the folio will be emailed to the guest.
- Additionally, using the SPG app, members can also Make A Green Choice® and request early check-in as well.
- SPG Elite members already enjoy the convenience of requesting a late check-out in the app and Platinum Elite members can choose their preferred arrival gift.
The first hotels offering SPG Mobile Check-in include:
Expansion of convenience and taking the best of the individual loyalty programs to make the travel experience better is always a good thing. While I personally still prefer a physical hotel key over a digital one, I am a huge fan of mobile check-in and checkout.