Last night, a travel friend invited me to download an app called Drop, that I’m putting to the test. When you “supercharge” (aka link) your credit and/or debit cards, Drop works in the background to automatically reward you on everyday purchases at select popular merchants, on top of what you would earn normally.
I am always attracted to new ways to easily earn more cash back or rewards on everyday purchases, so I downloaded it, linked my cards (which always makes me nervous TBH), and familiarized myself with the app and the offers.
The app states that you can earn cash rewards when you shop with 5 of your favorite brands, which you can then use your Drop points towards cash rewards at top brands.
You’ll earn points when you join and link your cards, unlock bonuses, and start spending.
Here’s a rundown of how you can easily earn points:
- 1,000 for joining (with an invite code)
- 2,000 when you link an account
- activating offers (example 2,000 bonus points when you spend at least $20 at Amazon), in addition to 20 Drop points per dollar.
- x / per dollar spend at your selected merchants
Since I frequently use Uber, shop at Amazon, and love Dunkin’ Donuts, it was a no-brainer for me to select them. Walgreens and Whole Foods are neighborhood places I go to sometimes, so it didn’t hurt to select them either. I’m sure there are more creative opportunities to explore with manufactured spending, but that’s not something I do regularly.
At the moment, Drop is invite-only and currently available in the US. You’ll need to have an invite (referral) code to join.
c5lt2 is my invite code, and will get you 1,000 points to start when you join with it.
Sample rewards include:
- 5,000 points = $5 Starbucks gift card
- 10,000 points = $10 Dunkin’ Donuts, iTunes, Nordstrom, or Amazon gift card
- 15,000 points = $15 AMC or Banana Republic gift card
- 20,000 points = $20 Whole Foods gift card
- 25,000 points = $25 Lyft gift card
- 50,000 points = $50 Hotels.com gift card
- 100,000 points = $100 American Airlines gift card
It never hurts to stack up a bunch of offers to truly maximize rewards on everyday purchases. I like that once you link your cards, there’s nothing else you need to do, and you can truly earn more rewards automatically.
What are your thoughts? Do you plan on trying Drop?