While Newark is my preferred airport by far out of the 3 NYC airports, I’ll occasionally fly out of LaGuardia if there’s a good deal and if the flights are scheduled when traffic isn’t a nightmare. Plus, a visit to the Centurion Lounge is always a nice treat.
As you may already know, LGA is in the middle of a huge renovation, and as a result of the construction, travelers are needing to add a significant amount of time to their travel time. For instance, I’m hearing that the rideshare pick-off/drop-off area is really far away from the terminals and that is a huge annoyance.
The good news is that there’s an airport-wide terminal shuffle related to the ongoing airport redevelopment happening now. Hopefully that’ll start to make things a bit better.
Starting this past weekend, JetBlue has moved over to the Marine Air Terminal, occupying all four gates. All JetBlue flights to/from LGA will be out of the Marine Air Terminal (Terminal A), an aviation landmark.
JetBlue plans to move back to the Central Terminal when construction is completed. For now, this move will alleviate traffic and congestion for JetBlue customers as construction on the Central Terminal gets underway.
With this move, there will also be some overall terminal improvements, which will be completed in two phases over the next several months.
Phase 1 – Improvements available at the Marine Air Terminal / Terminal A starting on December 9 include:
- Curbside rideshare pick-up
- M60 Select Bus Service to/from the terminal making JetBlue’s new home easily even more accessible for customers and crewmembers alike.
- Easy access to daily and long-term parking lots
- New drop-off lanes
- A new lobby featuring JetBlue’s self-service kiosks and bag drop
- An expanded TSA checkpoint updated from two lanes to three, including a dedicated PreCheck lane.
Phase 2 – Rolling out in Q1 2018, additional enhancements will include:
- Improved and expanded concessions in partnership with OTG
- A further renovated check-in area
- Expanded baggage claim area
- Additional JetBlue-branded elements
Overall, I am excited for the improvements, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for JetBlue’s new home. I hope that this means that an expansion of JetBlue service (and Mint) from LGA is in the works, too!
The LGA construction project surely is an inconvenience to many of us at the moment (especially during holiday travel), but it’s about time! The airport was long over-due for major overhaul. I have a flight departing from LGA at the crack of dawn tomorrow, and I’m hoping for the best.
Have you recently flown in/out of LGA? How was your experience with the construction underway?